May 17, 2010

Two Down, Three To Go

Today starts a new semester. It is sure to be the most challenging semester yet. And from what I've been told, this is the make or break point. Many people will not make it through the summer; either for grades or just realizing they aren't meant to do this. This semester is dedicated to mechanical ventilation or as most of you know it as, life support.

For me, I can't be more excited. Up unitl now, we've been slinging nebs and working on our patient assessment skills. As beneficial as this was, quite frankly I was bored to tears. But from now on I will be in the critical care units, both in adults and pediatrics. As sick and unfortunate as these patients will be, I can't wait to glove up, gown up, poke, probe, stick, suction and pull tubes!

Many of you probably think I'm sick in the head. Perhaps you are right. But it takes all kinds to make this world go round. I've come to "appreciate" blood, guts, snot, and boogers. And it kinda makes me excited.

And you probably wonder why I didn't choose nursing; they make more money and get more recognition. One simple reason. I don't do poop!

Its so comforting to know that I've finally found my calling in life. A few years ago, I would have never thought I could do this but I was so bored doing office work, I needed a new challenge. And a challenge it has been. I defiantly stepped out of my comfort zone on this one!

Off to class I go. So until next time, just breathe! Because if you don't, I'll have to tube you!

~M

1 comment:

  1. Good luck M! I don't do poop.... me either :) ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete